Stations on the Podcasts app by Apple are a powerful tool. While some of us don’t use it as actively as it could be used, there’s some real productivity that can be had from using stations on the Podcasts app. In this post, we are going to take a look at:
- How to use “On the Go”
- How to create your own podcasts station
- Configure Podcasts App settings
“On the Go”
The most useful thing on Podcasts stations is ‘On the Go” station (found in My Stations menu). Consider this as the play queue. When you are on the commute and are tuning into a series of episodes between different podcasts, On the Go works like a good queue playlist which plays the episodes subsequently without you having to shift between different podcast channels.
How to add episodes to the On-The-Go station?
That’s pretty simple.
- Tap and hold on an episode.
- When the bubble that says ‘Add to On-the-Go‘ opens up, tap on it. That’s it!
Alternatively, you can follow this too:
- On every episode that you want to add to the queue, just tap on the blue icon.
- Now, tap on ‘Add to On-the-Go‘
- Once added, the episode gets added to the station and you can then play any episode from the On the Go station to
If you want to add multiple episodes at once to the On-the-Go list, the app lets you do that too. To do this:
- Tap on My Stations from the bottom menu
- Now, tap on On-the-Go
- From the options above, tap on “Add“
- Tap on any of your subscribed Podcasts station
- You can now pick any episode(s) and tap on Done from top right to queue it up for listening on the go.
How to Create Own Stations on Podcasts App on iPhone or iPad:
- Open the Podcasts app
- Tap on the My Stations menu from the bottom
- Now tap on ‘New Station‘
- Give it a name.
- Add Podcasts stations that you want to add. Typically, since Stations lets you actually weed out the important stuff from the not-so-important, you’d want to select just a few podcasts here.
- Tap on Done once you’re done selecting Podcasts.
Configure Podcasts Settings
You can edit a station to remove podcasts, episodes and configure how the playlist works. To do this:
- Tap on the Station you want to edit
- Tap on Settings
- Change whatever you want. Sort Podcasts, auto-download and auto-delete podcasts, and play order.
But why Stations?
At the time of this writing, Apple had unveiled the Stations options only recently (March, 2013). Quite a lot of users are confused about the feature as to what it really does. I am no expert and I don’t know what it does exactly (other than the preset stations like Most Recent, On the Go etc.) but here’s one particularly important feature that I got to use:
Since I subscribe to a lot of podcasts, Stations lets me segregate them category-wise. This is useful because I don’t want my podcast dashboard to be clogged up with all things. Which it ultimately is – and that’s why Stations comes in handy.