Apple’s Night Mode feature lets you shoot amazing photos in low light environments. This ensures that the pictures and selfies you take in a dark restaurant, night parties, festivals, etc. are brighter, sharper, and significantly better than regular images. On iPhone 11 series, you can use the rear camera for night mode photography. But its successor iPhone 12 lineup lets you enjoy this on both the back and front cameras. Let us get straight in and show you how to use Night Mode on supported iPhone models.
- How to Take Low-Light Photo with Night Mode on iPhone
- How to Take Night Mode Selfies on iPhone 12 Series
- Use Night Mode Portrait Shots on iPhone 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max
- How to Turn Off Night Mode on iPhone
The steps below are applicable for iPhone 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max, iPhone 12 mini, 12, 12 Pro, and 12 Pro Max.
How to Take Low-Light Photo with Night Mode on iPhone
- Open the Camera app, and when you low-light environment, Night mode automatically turns on, which looks similar to the Crescent moon.
- If the moon icon is yellow, you are ready to shoot.
- If the moon icon is white, tap on it to manually switch to Night mode.
- Press the camera Shutter button and hold the iPhone still for some time.
Adjust Night Mode Manually
You can also choose to configure the Night mode effect manually. For this, tap on the moon icon and drag the slider located above the Shutter button towards the right to increase the time. To decrease the time, simply swipe the slider towards the left.
The time range shown on the slider depends on the various parameters. For example, the iPhone uses the on-device gyroscope to learn if you are holding it in hands or have it on a tripod. If it detects that you are using a tripod, then the exposure times may be significantly longer (up to 30 seconds), which delivers even more detailed low-light shots!
How to Take Night Mode Selfies on iPhone 12 Series
- Launch the Camera app on your iPhone 12. Switch to the front camera by tapping on the camera chooser icon from the bottom left.
- Look at the moon icon from the top left corner. If you are in an environment with low light, dark mode will automatically kick in. In this case, you will see the moon icon as yellow. You are all set to click night mode selfies. Tip: You can tap on the same yellow moon icon to manually adjust the exposure time.
- Is the moon icon white? In this case, tap on it to manually turn on the night mode for selfies.
- Once done, hold the iPhone still, and tap on the camera Shutter button.
Note: When the light around you is very bright, you won’t see the moon icon, which means you can not use Night mode.
You can take Night mode Portrait only on iPhone 12 Pro and Pro Max. This is because Night mode Portrait shots use the LiDAR Scanner for depth, which is available only on these higher-end models and not the regular iPhone 12, 12 mini, or any predecessor.
How to Use Night Mode Portrait Shots on iPhone 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max
- Open the Camera app and swipe to PORTRAIT.
- If you are in an environment with low light, Night mode automatically becomes active, and it’s crescent moon icon turns yellow. You are ready to shoot!
- If you are in an environment with reasonably low light, but the Night mode icon is still white in colour, you can tap on it to manually enable Night mode.
- Tap the Shutter button and hold the iPhone steady until it finishes shooting.
All the rest of the basics like manually adjusting exposure, etc. are the same as any other Night mode shot.
How to Turn Off Night Mode on iPhone
To turn off Night mode on iPhone 11 and 12 series, tap on the moon icon when it is yellow and drag the slider all the way from left to right.
This is how you can use Night mode to take impressive pictures on iPhone 11 and iPhone 12. Apart from this, the Camera app also has some cool features and enhancements like 4K selfie video and Slofie.