iOS’ QuickType keyboard has got an immensely user-friendly feature called “Flick” in iOS 11. What makes it so handy is the ability to let you enter numbers and symbols without using the shift key.
The new key flicking supports all iPads running iOS 11 except 12.9-inch iPad Pro. However, it’s compatible with all other iPad Pro models. Besides, it also works with iPad Air and later, iPad mini 2 and later, and the 5th generation iPad.
How to Use the iPad’s New Flick Keyboard in iOS 11
- All the keys now show letters and number/symbols in the QuickType keyboard.
- While a tap allows you to enter the main letter on the keyboard, a flick lets you enter the secondary number or symbol.
Step #1. First off, open any app and bring up the keyboard as usual.
Step #2. Now, tap on a key if you wish to enter the standard letter or symbol.
Step #3. Next, you need to touch a key and then pull downwards to enter the “flick” symbol. When you pull down, the symbol will replace the letter on the keyboard.
This keyboard also allows you to access the special characters and accent marks. To do so, just hold down on a key. For example, you can also type, “#” using an alphabet “S.”
By default, Key Flicks feature is enabled on iPad.
How to Turn On/Off the Key Flicks in iOS 11 on iPad
Key Flicks are enabled by default. But, you can turn it on/off based on your need.
Step #1. Launch Settings app on your iPad.
Step #2. Tap on General.
Now, you need to tap on Keyboard.
Step #3. Finally turn on/off “Enable Key Flicks.”
This is yet another useful feature that iOS 11 has got for iPad. It has taken away the complexity from typing symbols and numbers. What do you think of it?
You might want to take a peek at these posts as well:
- How to Use Split View and Slide Over in iOS 11
- How to Use Drag and Drop in iOS 11
- How to Customize Bluetooth Keyboard in iOS 11
- How to Use Keyboard Shortcuts on iPad Pro in Files App