Without an iota of doubt, Face ID is the biggest highlight of iPhone X. To me, its a revolutionary feature and primed not just to make smartphone even smarter but also change the way we look at facial recognition technology. Considering how significant this advanced feature is, it's apt to make a complete guide on how to set up and use Face ID on iPhone X.
According to Apple, the odds that someone else' fingerprint will unlock Touch ID are 1 in 50,000, while Face ID's chance of another face matching is just 1 in 1,000,000. As no visible light is used, the scan is invisible in all lighting conditions. To avoid unintentional unlocking, facial recognition is made to be “attention aware.” What's more, it is also used in various lighting conditions, including dark rooms.
How to Set Up Face ID on iPhone X
- Make sure nothing is covering both the TrueDepth camera and your face.
- Face ID works with hats, scarves, glasses, contact lenses as well as sunglasses.
- To have better result, you need to keep your iPhone at about an arm's length or closer (10-20 inches) from your face.
- Face ID is designed to automatically adapt to changes in your appearance including wearing cosmetic makeup or growing facial hair.
- In case the facial recognition system finds a big change in your appearance like shaving a full beard, it will confirm your identity by using your passcode before updating the face data.
Step #1. Launch Settings app on your iPhone.
Step #2. Next, you need to tap on Face ID & Passcode. Enter your passcode, if you are asked to do so.
Step #3. Next, tap on Set Up Face ID.
Now, you have to position your face in front of your device, and tap Get Started.
Step #4. Next up, you will have to look straight into your iPhone and place your face inside the frame.
- Move your head gently to complete the circle.
- If you can't move your head, tap Accessibility Options.
Step #5. Once you have completed, the first Face ID scan, tap Continue. You need to move your head again to complete the circle for a second time.
When you have successfully set up Face ID, tap Done.
Note: If you haven't set a passcode, you will need to create one to use as an alternate way to verify your identity.
How to Use Face ID on iPhone X
How to Unlock iPhone X Using Face ID
Step #1. You need to wake the screen of your device. (Simply pick up your device to wake the screen (if you have enabled it—Settings → Display & Brightness → Raise. Or press the side button.)
Step #2. Now, look at the screen. Make sure to keep your eyes open while unlocking the device.
How to Disable Face ID on Your iPhone X
There are some situations when you may need to temporarily turn off Face ID to prevent anyone from forcing you to unlock your device to take your personal information. Check out this quick guide to get done:
Several Other Options to Disable Face ID on iPhone X
There are several other options through which you can turn off Face ID on your device.
- Head over to Settingsapp → Face ID & Passcode → Tap Reset Face ID. It will delete Face ID data, including mathematical representations of your face, from your device.
Note: If you don't want to use Face ID to unlock your device, open Settings app → Face ID & Passcode → Use Face ID and then turn off iPhone Unlock.
- Simply restart your iPhone X.
- Make five failed attempts to unlock your iPhone.
- Reboot your iPhone X.
When You Need to Enter Passcode to Unlock your iPhone X
- After the 48-hour period in which you didn't use Face ID on your smartphone, you will have to use the passcode.
- After restarting your device.
- If you haven't used passcode to unlock the device in the last six and a half days and Face ID hasn't unlocked the phone in the last 4 hours.
- Your iPhone has received a remote lock command.
- After you have made five unsuccessful attempts to match your face.
- After activating Emergency SOS.
How to Disable Require Attention for Face ID on iPhone X
The people with low-vision or visual impairments can disable “Require Attention” for Face ID to unlock their device a bit more comfortably. Jump over to this guide to know how it works.
How to Reset Face ID on iPhone X
In certain situations, you might have to delete Face ID data on your iPhone X. Head over to this guide to get it done.
Video Walkthrough: How to Setup Face ID on the iPhone X
What do you think of Face ID? Share your feedback it in the comments below.
You'd like to have a glance at;
- How to Force Quit Apps on iPhone X
- How to Put iPhone X into DFU Mode
- How to Use iPhone X without Home Button
- How to Reboot iPhone X