Despite the relatively tiny screen, switching between apps on Apple Watch is dead simple. And the due credit for the smooth switching should be given to the super handy “Dock.”
For those unfamiliar, Dock is designed to enhance multitasking in watchOS. It lets you quickly access most recent apps or your 10 favorite apps. Depending on how you’ve customized this nifty feature, you will be able to navigate through the apps on your Apple Watch.
How to Switch Between Apps on Apple Watch running watchOS 5 or Earlier
Step #1. First off, you need to press the side button of your smartwatch to bring up the Dock.
Step #2. Once you are in the app switcher mode, you can swipe up or down to navigate through the most recent or favorite apps.
Alternately, you can also rotate the Digital Crown to scroll through the apps that are in the app switcher.
- One important thing worth noting is that even if you’ve selected Favorites, the most recently used app will still show up right at the top. watchOS does it to let you easily go back to the last opened app
- If you have chosen Recents, your apps will show up in the order you launched them. Hence, you can instantly jump over to the last two used apps as they would appear right at the top
Step #3. Tap on the app you want to use.
While you are in the Dock, scroll all the way to the bottom and tap on All Apps to head over to the Home screen. To close the app switcher, simply press the Digital Crown.
That’s how you can bolster multitasking on your smartwatch!
Prior to watchOS 3, pressing the Side button would allow access to quick contacts. But the tech giant thought multitasking needed a bit more push on Apple Watch. So, it locked the Side button with Dock–much to the appreciation of users (including me) who found it well timed.
You might want to snap a look at these posts as well:
- How to Setup and Listen to Podcasts on Apple Watch in watchOS 5
- Pair Apple Watch Series 4 with iPhone Xs, Xs Max or iPhone XR
- How to Use ECG on Apple Watch Series 4 Outside the US
- How to Turn off Digital Crown Haptic Feedback on Apple Watch Series 4
What’s your take on app switching in watchOS? Is it easy or complicated? Share your thoughts in the comments section.