So far, Touch ID has beaten Face ID as far as speed is concerned. But make no bones about it as the latter has just arrived and can get better just like the former. In the meantime, you can use these effective tricks to speed up Face ID unlock on your iPhone X, Xs, Xs Max, and XR.
We have already created a post on “how to fix Face ID not working issue,” so just in case you don’t find it working up to the mark, do check it out. If you just wish to make the Face ID a bit faster on your iPhone X series, jump over to take a peek at the possible ways and means to breeze through the gap!
Tips to Make Face ID Unlock Faster on iPhone X, Xs, Xs Max, and XR
A Few Things to Consider:
- Ensure that the TrueDepth camera is clean. Use a soft cloth to keep the area around it clean.
- While unlocking the device, make sure to keep your face steady to help the infrared light beams work more effectively.
- Though the facial recognition technology works with many types of sunglasses, it doesn’t seem to work with the ones featuring dark shades.
- Face ID may not work consistently if the sun is right behind you. So, when you are outside in sunny environments, keep it in mind.
- When unlocking your iPhone with Face ID, be sure to keep your smartphone at an optimal distance. The ideal distance (as recommended by Apple) is 25–50 centimeters or 10–20 inches.
- The more you use Face ID, the better it gets. Moreover, you can also train it to work faster. And one of the smartest tricks is to avoid repositioning your face if the facial recognition technology fails to identify you. Instead, whenever it’s not able to identify you; unlock the device using password. This way you tell the Face ID that it’s no one but you and it must recognize you. Over time, it may begin to work better.
Glance At Your iPhone X, Xs, Xs Max, and XR and Swipe to Unlock At Once
Initially, while unlocking my iPhone, I would wait for the Face ID to verify my face and then I’d swipe up to go to Home screen. It was a bit slow process, and I thought that swipe gesture, in the end, was the culprit for the lagging (to some extent).
There is a very simple yet effective way to make the process of unlocking iPhone X, Xs, Xs Max, and XR a little faster. All you need to do is glance at your iPhone and swipe up at once; without waiting for the unlock sign. So, the moment Face ID finishes the work of verifying your face, you will be on your Home screen.
It will make a difference of a few seconds. Ditto!
Disable Require Attention for Face ID
When this feature is on, the TrueDepth camera offers an additional layer of security by ensuring that you are looking at your device attentively. Apart from providing extra security, it also makes sure your phone doesn’t unlock by mistake.
However, it slightly slows down the unlocking process. And just in case your sunglasses aren’t quite transparent to the infrared sensors of the facial recognition system, it will not allow the device to be unlocked. So, if you want to overcome this huddle and aren’t much bothered about security, turn it off. To do so, head over to this post.
Going forward, you won’t require paying much attention to unlock your device. Though it will be less secure, it would suffice your purpose.
Keep your iPhone Updated
With every update, Face ID is going to get better; very much like Touch ID. So, whenever there is any update available, make sure to install it at the earliest. It’s one of the effective ways to enhance the performance of not just the facial recognition system but also the entire device. Tap on Settings → General → Software Update.
Any Tip from You?
If you come across any viable trick of making Face ID work faster, do let us know that in the comments below. We have made multiple posts regarding it, so keep a tab on them if you need help.
I thought you’d like to glance through these posts as well:
- How to Disable Face ID on iPhone X, Xs, Xs Max, and XR
- How to Reset Face ID on X, Xs, Xs Max, and XR
- How to Autofill Passwords and Credit Card info using Face ID
- How to Sign in to Apps with Face ID on X, Xs, Xs Max, and XR