Being able to shuffle the playback based on the genre is one feature blatantly missing in iOS 7's Music app. While it's not a particularly important feature that a lot of people look for, some of us like our days to start in a particular genre.
The basic principle comes from the fact that the genre-based playlists are gone or at least, hidden beneath the search layer that it's not instantly visible or accessible. Here's how to work around this and get your genre-based playlist for shuffling out of a genre.
How to Shuffle Music by Genre in iOS 7 Music App on iPhone & iPod Touch
- Open the Music app
- Swipe downwards to get to the search field.
- Type the name of the genre you want to pick. Then, tap on the genre from the results.
- What you get is a list of all the songs (arranged by Album) under the genre.
- Now, all you do is play a song. With the shuffle mode ON, the Music app will shuffle through this list of songs that is listed (which is under a genre).
As you can see, this is a workaround and not exactly a clean solution. If you don't have a lot of genres, you could do Smart Playlists but that would be time-consuming if you had a lot of genres. Also, for people who are used to picking genres easily in previous iOS version, any other solution would only be a long-hand, time-consuming one.
There have been a bunch of internal changes besides the tons of cosmetic ones in iOS 7's Music app. Needless to say, some of these changes have been so vast that it takes sometime to figure out how to do the same things that were easy on iOS 6.
You might also want to check out some of our posts on features and troubleshooting in Music app:
- Deleting Songs from the Music app
- Changing the Scrub Speed when you scrub songs
- Or if you are looking for alternatives to the Music app