Google Voice (Voice Over Internet Protocol or VOIP) had always been a highly impressive app for calling, text messaging or voicemail. But with the redesign, it has become even better. For a change, now it allows you to sign up for the Google number from within the app. Hence, setting up and using Google Voice on the iPhone has become a lot easier now.
Known for cheap international calling, Google Voice is currently available only in the US. If you are looking for a guide to get started with this app, let me take you through it.
How to Sign Up for Google Voice on iPhone
Step #1. Once you have downloaded Google Voice on your iOS device, launch it.
Step #2. Tap on Sign in at the bottom. You need to use your Gmail account to sign in.
Step #3. Accept the Terms and Conditions.
Step #4. Next, you have to select a Google voice number. Tap on the Search button and then enter the city of your origin → Tap on Select next to the number you want to use.
Now, you have to link Google Voice number to your account. Tap on Next at the bottom left corner.
Step #5. Now, you have to enter your phone number to send and receive phone calls. Google will then send you a code which you have to enter to verify your account.
How to Use Google Voice on iPhone and iPad
With the easy-to-use interface, Google Voice looks pretty familiar right from the beginning. There are four tabs at the bottom.
- To send a message, simply tap on the chat bubble icon then tap on the plus button to either start a new conversation or tap on the existing conversation
- To call anyone, tap on the telephone icon and tap on the plus button to start a new call. Then, you can choose a contact or tap the contact you have previously communicated
- If you are busy and unable to answer any call, you have the option to send it to voicemail. (Make sure to check out– best voicemail apps for iPhone). To access the written transcript of any message, tap on the voicemail icon at the bottom. Read the transcript or listen to the message as per convince
How to Check Your Credit Balance in Google Voice App on iPhone
Step #1. Open Google Voice app on your iOS device.
Step #2. Tap on the menu button at the top right corner. You should see your balance next to Credit.
How to Add Money to Google Voice App on iPhone
Step #1. Open Google Voice → More button at the top right corner → Settings.
Step #2. Click on Payments. Under your current balance, you have to click on Add Credit.
Step #3. Under Calling credit, you have to click on Add $10.00 credit or Add credit.
Step #4. Next, use your Google account to pay. You will receive an email to confirm your purchase.
Note: The call rate varies by country. Under, Lookup a calling rate, enter the number and click on Find rate in order to check out the call rate.
- In case your call is not free, you will get a message letting you know how much the call cost or the call is being routed by the app
- If you don’t get the message, your call won’t be using Google Voice. Your carrier may charge you for the call
How to Customize Google Voice on iPhone and iPad
Depending on your need, you can customize the app. As for instance, you have the option to forward messages/calls to linked numbers, get voicemails via messages, send all calls to voicemails, and even filter calls, messages and voicemail.
To configure the app as per your need, tap on the menu button → Settings and fine-tune it perfectly.
What’s your take on this app? Share your valuable feedback in the comments.
Jignesh Padhiyar is the co-founder of iGeeksBlog.com, who has a keen eye for news, rumors, and all the unusual stuff around Apple products. During his tight schedule, Jignesh finds some moments of respite to share side-splitting content on social media.