One of the hardest things to happen is you forgetting the Restriction passcode. We're talking about the passcode that you set for Settings → General → Restrictions.
Restrictions help you control what part of your iPhone/iPad is accessible. You can disable apps, control the installation/deletion of apps etc. through Restrictions. In order to use them, you should set a passcode. And if you happen to forget it, it seems impossible to reset the code without restoring your iPhone/iPad as a new device.
But that's not true. When you forget the Restriction passcode, you don't have to restore as new in order to reset it. You can do this manually through a single file.
And that's what we're going to do. Briefly, this is what the method is:
- Take a backup of your device
- Open a file (com.apple.springboard.plist) from the backup and edit it
- Import the file into the backup
- Restore your device to the backup so nothing is lost
For those of you who have jailbroken your device, things can be a little easy. You can use iFile to do the things manually right on iPhone/iPad without having to go through the notions of using a backup extractor etc.
The methods below assume that you have tried (and failed) in attempting to crack the passcode. This means you'll see a ‘X Failed Attempts' in the Restriction passcode area (where X is any number).
If you have a jailbroken iPhone, this is the method you follow:
1. Download and install iFile
2. Go to /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/
3. Locate the file named com.apple.springboard.plist and tap on it
4. Tap on Text Viewer
5. Search for ‘SBParentalControlsFailedAttempts' (you can just type ‘FailedAttempts' too)
6. You should see a <key> and a <string> for this field like this:
(the number within string might differ)
7. Just beneath this, type the following:
8. Quit everything.
9. Open Settings → General → Restrictions again and enter 1234 for the code.
Voila! You are in. Now change the code to something better/safer.
If you want to reset Restriction passcode without jailbreaking your iPhone, here's how to do it.