One of the harshest things that can happen to any iPhone and iPad user is an app stops working correctly after being updated. And it happens a lot of times with a lot of apps.
Naturally, the first reaction – if you are new to iOS – is to look for going back to the older version. Turns out Apple doesn't normally let you do it. At least, not easily. But like everything, there is a solution.
Installing the previous version of an app is actually pretty easy although it's hidden beneath a veil of backups and drag-n-drops. In this quick tutorial, I'll take you through the process.
For this method to work, you should have a previous backup on iTunes (not iCloud). If you do not possess a backup, you can try asking your friends if they have an older backup which also contains the app.
The method works because when you backup your iPhone or iPad, all the apps get backed up in their then-current version. Which means they'll be the previous versions of the app you just updated.
So let's get started with how to re-install previous version of apps on the iPhone & iPad.
- Open iTunes
- Connect your iPhone and stop any syncing process that fires automatically.
- Now, delete the buggy app from your iPhone.
- In iTunes, click on the “Apps” link from the sidebar. This shows the apps that are available in the last backup. (or basically, all apps that you installed and synced).
- Find the app whose older version you want to install and drag-n-drop it on the iPhone section in the sidebar. (The device section).
- Now, all you do is simply Sync your iPhone with iTunes.
What if I don't have a backup?
You can ask any of your friends who *might* have a backup of the app in its older version. Obviously, you cannot sync your iPhone/iPad on their computer so you can simply copy the app. To do this (on your friend's computer):
- Click on “Apps” section in iTunes
- Find the app and right-click → Show in Windows Explorer
- You'll find the .ipa file. Copy this to your system.
- Once done, you just have to drag-n-drop this .ipa file on your device in iTunes.
That's it. You should have the previous version of the app now.