Connecting or pairing AirPods to your iPhone or iPad is a lot easier. Even to connect AirPods to Android devices is easy too. But, many other devices are either not supported or users are unable to connect AirPods to that particular device. The same is the case when someone tries to connect AirPods Pro, AirPods 2, or AirPods with their Xbox One and PS4 Controller.
Well, if you’re thinking that the process to pair AirPods with PS4 or Xbox One is just as you do with your iOS devices, that’s not the case, the process is a little bit different.
- How to Connect AirPods Pro, AirPods 2, or AirPods with PS4 Controller
- How to Connect any AirPods to Xbox One Controller
Let’s move on!
How to Connect AirPods Pro, AirPods 2, or AirPods with PS4 Controller
Since you can not directly connect any version of AirPods, including the newest AirPods Pro to PS4, we will have to use a Bluetooth dongle. For this, we have opted for AirFly Pro from Twelve South, which we reviewed a while back.
- Connect the AirFly Pro to the Dualshock 4’s 3.5mm headphone jack.
- Put the AirFly Pro in TX (transmit mode). Now, hold the button for few seconds until you see the light flashing. The device is ready to accept pairing.
- Open the AirPods case, with both pieces inside it. Now, press and hold the pairing button, which is at the backside of the charging case. After a few seconds, you will see the AirPods case light flash white.
- Give a few seconds for AirFly Pro and AirPods to pair. After pairing is successful, the AirFly will have a white light. The AirPods case light will glow green (if the case is adequately charged) or amber (if less than one full charge remains). Nevertheless, your AirPods are now connected with AirFly Pro, which is connected to the PS4 Controller.
Drawback: You can only hear the chat and other incoming sounds. You can not talk back as AirFly Pro can only transmit to the headphones. It can not receive your voice chat audio.
Other Alternatives to AirFly Pro for connecting AirPods to PS4
- PS4 Wireless Bluetooth Dongle from Mobile Fun: It claims to allow you to listen and talk through your Apple AirPods while you game. We have not tested it, though.
- Avantree Leaf Class 1 Long Range USB Bluetooth Audio Transmitter: It claims to have Talk Mode that allows chatting, though we have not tested it and thus can not confirm or deny.
Another method is to use the Remote Play app on your iPhone and Android. You have to first register and activate it with your PS4. It is easy. After that, go to the Bluetooth settings of your smartphone and pair the AirPods.
This method has its own share of hits, misses, and jerks. But, since PlayStation allows only officially licensed wireless headphones to connect seamlessly, there are some sacrifices to accept if you wish to use AirPods with PS4.
Finally, you may also try connecting the AirPods with your smart TV. If it supports, then the incoming audio from PlayStation will be routed to AirPods via the smart TV.
That’s how simple it is. Let’s now see what’s the workaround for the Xbox One!
How to Connect any AirPods to Xbox One Controller
There’s no direct way to use your AirPods with your Xbox One but don’t worry, we’ve found a way out for the same. But this method would only work if you have the Xbox App and it must be on your iOS device (iPad or iPhone). So here’s how you can pair it.
- Launch the Xbox App on your iPhone or iPad once you download it from the App Store.
- Now tap on the three-persons icon from the top of the screen.
- Tap on Start a Party. You can also join the party if you already know who’s doing it, else, you start a party and invite people to get started.
- Once done, connect your AirPods with your iPhone just by opening the case of the AirPods as you usually do. This will now pair your AirPods with the Xbox One through the app instantly!
This way, you can communicate with the people who are participating in the party that you joined or created from your iPhone. That’s the only workaround if you are planning to use AirPods with your Xbox One.
So this is how you can connect your AirPods with your PS4 or Xbox One. Did you try to pair your AirPods with any of these gaming devices? If yes, do let us know your experience of using these wireless earbuds with your PS4 or Xbox One.
You would like to read these posts as well:
- How to Pair AirPods with Android, Windows, and Other Bluetooth Devices
- How to Pair AirPods with Apple TV using Siri
- Reset Apple AirPods to Their Former Perfect Self
- How to Turn ON Siri Message Announcements Through Your AirPods in iOS 13
Let us know in the comment section if you’re facing any issues while connecting your AirPods with these gaming devices.