Whatsapp groups are fun and a great way to keep in touch with family and friends as a group. But what grinds our gears is group notifications when there’s a lot of people actively chatting. The incessant ping/vibrate can be annoying and can severely drain power from your iPhone.
There are a number of ways to disable/mute Whatsapp group notifications. We go over all of these here.
How to Mute Group Notifications/Alerts in Whatsapp
#1. Mute from Chats
This is the eaiest method to mute notifications from a particular group.
- In the Chats window, swipe left on the group you want to mute.
- Tap on More
- Next, tap on Mute and then pick a time frame
Notice that you can mute a group (from sending notifications) for a specific time-frame. If you want to mute group notifications for all the groups you are in, you will have to follow method #3.
#2. Mute from Group Info
There’s another way to mute a group chat from sending notifications to you. This again works like the first method above.
- Open the group chat thread in Whatsapp
- Tap on the name of the group on the top
- Tap on Mute
- Pick an option for the time period for which the notifications from this group chat should be muted. (1 day, 1 week or 1 year)
Again, this is for a specific group only.
#3. Mute in Settings
This method is best when you want to prevent all group chat notifications.
- Open Whatsapp
- Tap on Settings (bottom menu)
- Tap on Notifications
- Under the label Group Notifications, turn off the switch for Alerts
This will prevent Whatsapp from notifying you of any group message. Note that this is a blanket option so you will be muting all group notifications indefinitely with this switch.