Update: You don't have to resort to iTunes to hide purchased apps, if you have upgraded your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8. Here's how to hide those purchased apps on iOS 8.
You made a few app purchases/downloads that show up in the Purchased section of App Store (on iPhone/iPad, iOS 7.x). But you want to hide the purchased apps and make sure these apps stop showing up anywhere near the Purchased section. How to do that?
In iOS 5.x, you could hide the purchases right on the iPhone or iPad. With iOS 6.x, you couldn't do that but you had to switch to iTunes on PC/Mac to get it done. The same procedure continues with iOS 7.x too but users who upgraded to iOS 7 and then to iOS 7.1 say that the purchased apps shows all the apps once again.
It's true. When you upgrade, it looks like some data gets reset and all of a sudden, all the purchases show up in the App Store application. So we'll tackle both the problems: how to hide purchased apps from iPhone or iPad and how to re-hide apps after the iOS 7.1 upgrade.
How to Hide Purchased Apps on iPhone/iPad Running iOS 7.x:
To do this, you need a PC or Mac running the latest version of iTunes.
- Open iTunes
- Go to the iTunes store. (Make sure you are signed in. If not, go to Store → Sign in and log in with your Apple ID username)
- Once you are in the iTunes store, click Purchased from the quick links section (right)
- Click on Apps from the drop-down list on top.
- If you hover the mouse on an app, you should see a ‘x'. Clicking it will prompt a dialog window. Confirm the hiding and the app will be hidden.
- On the iPhone or iPad, open the App store and go to the Purchased section (Updates → Purchased). The app you just hid should no longer be visible.
Troubleshooting the Purchased Apps problem:
But all things don't work exactly as they're supposed to. Sometimes something goes wrong. After you update to iOS 7 or 7.1, the hidden apps may show up once again. Here are two things to do to re-hide them.
Make sure you have hidden apps from iTunes store before trying this:
- Open the App store on your iPhone/iPad
- In the Featured section, scroll to the bottom.
- Tap on the Apple ID. Then, Sign out.
- Alternatively, you can also go to Settings → iTunes & App Store → click on the Apple ID and sign out from here.
- Re-sign in.
Check if the hidden purchased apps have stopped showing up.
If the problem persists, we have some unfinished business with iTunes on PC/Mac:
- Open iTunes on your computer
- Sign out of your account (Store → Sign out)
- Follow the steps mentioned above to sign out of the app store on your iPhone/iPad
- Now, re-sign in to your account both the iTunes app and on the iPhone/iPad
When you re-login in both the places, the hidden purchases should stay hidden on your iPhone/iPad.
Here's wishing Apple will enable a function (swipe to hide) that will hide the purchased apps for those that need this feature.