The official Handoff compatibility list only includes devices as old as MacBooks from 2012. Older devices are “supposedly” not supported and Handoff is sketchy and buggy even on newer devices. However, we've linked to a MacRumor forum post already that explains how you can enable Handoff on older devices.
Unfortunately, that was a really long-winding, technical stuff involving a lot of complicated steps. However, developer “dokterdok” has created a tool specifically to simplify the whole process. If you're running an older Mac and want to enable Handoff compatibility, the Continuity Activation Tool is something you should check out now.
How to Enable Handoff/Continuity On Older, Unsupported Macs (MacBook Pro, MacBook Air and iMac)
Note first that the Continuity Activation Tool is not a universal solution. It won't get Handoff enabled and working on all old Macs. The developer has put up a list to show what changes are required in order to make your old Mac compatible for Handoff.
Using Continuity Activation Tool
While using the tool is pretty straightforward, there’s a lot of hooks you should be aware of. I'll first go through this before diving into using the tool.
- The tool edits low-level files (system files) and if you don't know what you are doing, chances are very high that your system might not work. Make sure you backup everything before you proceed.
- Do not edit PRAM after you install the tool. That will screw up the system.
- As is the case with all tools, this one comes with no guarantee. Proceed at your own risk.
Download and Run
- Go to the source code page of Continuity Activation Tool
- Click on Download Zip (on the right sidebar) to download the tool
- Run the app as administrator
The tool will:
- Detect what your Mac is
- Do compatibility checks and find out what files need to be edited
- Modifies the files
Once your system meets the criteria shown in the image above, you should get Handoff working. That is about it.
- It doesn’t work on BT4 USB dongles. You will need new drivers.
- Also, if you’ve modified the kext files before, restore them to their originals before using this tool.
- Apparently, the tool will also enable two other Continuity features like Instant Hotspot, AirDrop (iOS <-> OS X).