What to know about macOS 12 Monterey developer beta
- Ensure to back up your Mac before installing macOS Monterey.
- We recommend downloading and installing the macOS Monterey developer beta 6 update on a partition to keep your data safe.
macOS Monterey, Apple’s latest macOS iteration, is finally revealed. Designed to enhance connectivity, sharing, and creativity, it boasts an improved FaceTime, Messages, Safari, Notes, Notifications, Continuity, and oh so much more!
If you want to get a hands-on experience and explore the new features, here’s how you can download the macOS Monterey developer beta 6 on your Mac. But before that, see if you have a compatible Mac and take a backup.
- macOS Monterey supported Macs
- How to backup your Mac
- How to download macOS Monterey developer beta 6
- How to install macOS Monterey developer beta 6
- Install macOS Monterey developer beta 6 on a Partition
- Can I get macOS Monterey beta if I am not a developer?
macOS Monterey supported Macs
Below is the list of compatible devices on which you can download the latest macOS update.
- MacBook 2015 and later
- MacBook Pro 2015 and later
- MacBook Air 2015 and later
- Mac mini 2014 and later
- iMac 2015 and later
- iMac Pro 2017 and later (all models)
- Mac Pro 2013 and later
Don’t know your Mac’s exact model? Click the Apple logo → About This Mac.
Now that you are confident that your device supports the latest macOS update, let’s go ahead and ensure to back up the device.
How to backup your Mac
While the overall process is pretty simple and safe, a developer beta can be prone to bugs and other issues. Thus it is advisable to make a backup and ensure that your data remains safe and sound.
Additionally, this will help you downgrade to macOS Big Sur if you face any trouble during the update or later.
Here’s how you can do that
- Connect an external hard drive or SSD to your Mac.
- Click the Apple icon and select System Preferences.
- Here, select Time Machine and click Select Backup Disk to choose your drive.
- Click Use Disk to start the process; it is recommended to check the box next to Encrypt Backups before proceeding.
- Check the box for Show Time Machine in the menu bar.
- Now, select the Time Machine icon at the top menu bar and select Backup Now.
And that’s all; Time Machine will start the backup process in 1-2 minutes. Don’t have an external storage device, check this post for other ways to safely backup your macOS device.
How to download macOS Monterey developer beta 6
- Visit developer.apple.com and open the Discover tab.
- Select macOS and click Download.
- Log in with your developer account credentials if prompted.
- To download the latest macOS Monterey developer beta, click on Install Profile.
- Open the Downloads (or the folder where folder files are saved by default).
- Double-click macOSDeveloperBetaAccessUtility.dmg to open it.
- Next, double click macOSDeveloperBetaAccessUtility.pkg to run the installer.
- In the prompt window, click Continue, agree to terms and conditions, and then click Install.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install the macOS developer beta.
Now, you should see the Software Update screen. If not, click Apple logo → System Preferences → Software Update.
Here you will see the macOS Monterey developer beta option; click Upgrade Now. Depending upon your internet speed, the download may take a while.
Note: If you don’t see an update window, restart your computer and revisit the Software update section.
How to install macOS Monterey developer beta 6
After the macOS Monterey developer beta is downloaded, a prompt window will ask you to start the installation process.
- Click Continue.
- Select Agree to Apple’s Terms and Conditions.
- Click Install (you may need to clear some space for installation).
- Now, follow the on-screen instructions to install macOS Monterey.
The installation process might take a considerable amount of time, so be patient. For further instructions, jump to the getting started section below.
Install macOS Monterey developer beta 6 on a Partition
As mentioned earlier, a software’s beta version is susceptible to bugs or related issues. So, it’s wiser to install the beta on your secondary device or to create a partition in Mac’s storage to keep your data safe.
If your Mac doesn’t have a partition, read this article and create it easily. Also, download the developer beta as illustrated above.
- After the download is complete, click Continue from the installation window.
- Click Agree and confirm.
- Now, click Show All Disks and select the partition.
- Click Install to start the process.
Here, you can either choose a clean installation and start from scratch or transfer current OS information with the help of the installation helper.
Getting started with macOS Monterey developer beta 6 on Mac
Once the installation is complete, your Mac will reboot with the all-new macOS Monterey. But before you can explore the new OS, here are a few steps you’ll need to complete first.
- Click Continue
- Sign in with your Apple ID and Password and let iCloud sync your data and other information.
- Click Get Started.
Can I get macOS Monterey beta if I am not a developer?
Well, there are third-party websites like betaprofiles.com that offer the developer’s profile for free. You can simply download the profile and install it via the steps mentioned earlier.
However, this option can be risky for both your data and your device. So, I suggest that you either join Apple’s developer program or skip the developer beta and opt for the public beta, which releases after a few days.
What are your views on this latest macOS update? Share your views in the comment section below.