With iOS 10, Apple offered the option to remove built-in apps from the Home screen on iPhone or iPad. However, they couldn’t be deleted as they continued to exist in the background. But iOS 11 allows you to completely delete several built-in apps on your iPhone and iPad.
Before going on to eliminate stock apps on your iOS 11 device, you should keep in mind that removing built-in apps will hugely affect the user experience on your device. Hence, make sure to carry out the cleanup task cautiously.
Following are the built-in apps you can delete from your iOS 11 device:
- Find My Friends
- iTunes Store
- Photo Booth
- Voice Memos
- Watch app
You Need to Know These Important Things:
- If Contacts app is deleted, the contact information will remain in the Phone app.
- Even if FaceTime app is deleted, you can still make and receive FaceTime calls in Contacts and the Phone app.
- If you remove apps like iBooks, Maps, Music, or Podcast apps, they won’t be available to use with CarPlay. If Music app is deleted, you can’t play audio content in its library using Apple apps or third-party apps on some car stereos or stereo receivers.
- When you delete the Watch app from an iPhone paired with an Apple Watch, you will see an alert asking you to unpair the watch before deleting the app.
Why You Shouldn’t Delete Built-in Apps on iPhone and iPad
- If you remove the Podcasts app from your iOS device, it won’t be available with CarPlay.
- If you have paired your Apple Watch with your iPhone, deleting an app from your iPhone also deletes that app from your smartwatch.
- If you get rid of the Stocks or Weather app from your device, they won’t be available elsewhere. For instance, the stocks and weather information won’t be available in Notification Center on your iPhone or as Complications or Glances on your Apple Watch.
How to Delete Stock Apps from iPhone and iPad Running iOS 11
Step #1. Simply tap and hold the app you want to delete.
Step #2. When the app begins to wiggle, tap (X) Delete button.
Step #3. Tap on Delete in the popup to confirm.
Step #4. Press the Home button to quit edit mode.
If you are using Apple Watch, deleting an app from your iPhone will delete that app from your smartwatch as well.
How to Reinstall Stock Apps on iPhone and iPad Running iOS 11
Step #1. Launch App Store on your iOS device and search for the app you want to restore.
Step #2. Once you have found the app, tap the cloud button to restore the app.
If you are using Apple Watch, restoring an app to your iPhone will also restore that app to your smartwatch.
How to Prevent Anyone from Deleting Apps on Your iPhone and iPad
Step #1. Open Settings app on your iOS device → Tap on General.
Step #2. Tap on Restrictions.
Step #3. Enter the Restriction Passcode (It may different from your iPhone passcode.)
Step #4. Now, make sure the switch next to Deleting Apps is off.
To know more about Restrictions and how it works, head over to this post.
It’s better to have the option to eliminate stocks apps, isn’t it? If you ever get ready to clear out any bloatware, make sure to weigh in its aftereffects. Let me know your feedback and the pre-installed apps you’d want to remove from your iPhone.
You’d want to glance through these posts as well:
- How to Use Siri Translation in iOS 11
- How to Enable Type to Siri in iOS 11
- How to Enable Dark Mode in iOS 11
- How to Improve iOS 11 Battery Life