Recently, Apple announced that location data of an iPhone running iOS 12 will be automatically shared with first responders during 911 calls in the United States. It’s done to decrease emergency response times and can prove to be very decisive for saving lives. Want to use this feature in iOS 11, 10, or even iOS 9 running iPhone? There is a way you can share your iPhone’s precise location when you call or text 911.
Before you could start wondering how it’s done, let me tell you that an app called RapidSOS Beacon makes it happen. One thing worth noting is that the iOS already can share the exact location info. However, fire services and police are not able to access the data during the 911 call.
How to Automatically Share Your iPhone’s Location During 911 Calls in iOS 11 or iOS 10
- RapidSOS Beacon app is available for free and compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod. Another notable thing worth mentioning is that it requires iOS 8.1 or later. That means you can use it even on your older iOS devices.
- Another thing you should know upfront is that the app is designed to work in the US only.
Step #1. First off, download RapidSOS Beacon on your iOS device. Then, open the app and tap on Let’s Get Started.
Step #2. Now, allow the app to send you notifications when you call or text 911.
Step #3. Next, allow the app to access your location. Make sure to let the app Always access your location.
Then, you need to agree to the terms and conditions.
Step #4. Next up, you have to enter your phone number and tap on Continue.
Step #5. Up next, the app will send you a confirmation code via SMS. Enter it and then tap Confirm.
Going forward, when you dial 911, the app will automatically send your precise location data to the emergency service.
The app can be very helpful in emergency situations. The best thing about SOS Beacon is that it works reliably on the older versions of the iOS. So, if your iPhone doesn’t support the latest iOS version, you can take advantage of this app to fill up the void.
You would like to read these posts as well:
- How to Use Podcasts Chapters in iOS 12
- How to Enable the New Thesaurus in iOS 12
- How to Disable USB Accessories Restricted Mode in iOS 12
- How to Use Emergency SOS in iOS 11 on iPhone