Whenever I have to clean up my iOS device, Messages app is one of my primary targets. The redundant large conversations, old messages and storage-hogging attachments are the ones that I generally get rid of to ensure my device remains uncluttered. It had been a bit lengthy task to find and clear off unwanted conversations up until now. A lot has changed with the arrival of the latest iOS version. No prizes for guessing! For a change, you can now easily auto-delete old and redundant conversations in iOS 11 on your iPhone and iPad.
There is also an option to review iMessage attachments and clean them up in bulk. What's more, you can check out all the large conversations ordered by size and quickly remove them all.
Note [Updated: 14-October-2017]: The option to auto-delete old iMessage chats was available in iOS 11 beta. However, it no longer exists in iOS 11.0 2. We expect this useful feature to arrive again.
How to Auto-Delete Old Message Chats in iOS 11 on iPhone and iPad
Step #1. Open Settings app on your iOS device → Tap on General.
Step #2. Now, you need to tap on iPhone/iPad Storage.
Step #3. Scroll down and tap on Messages.
Step #4. Finally, tap on Enable next to Auto-Delete Old conversations.
From now onwards, old conversations that are one-year-old will be automatically deleted.
How to Delete Large iMessage Attachments in iOS 11 on iPad
Step #1. Open Settings app → General.
Step #2. Tap on iPad Storage.
Step #3. Tap on Review large attachments.
- Now, you will see the list of all the large iMessages attachments with their respective size, which are stored on your device.
- You can tap on any respective attachment to see it. If you no longer want to keep any chat attachment, swipe to delete it.
- If you want to delete multiple attachments, tap on Edit → tap on little circles to select the attachments you wish to trash → tap on Trash Can.
- There is also an option to save any image or video to your Camera Roll. However, you will be able to save it one-by-one.
How to Delete Large iMessage Conversations in iOS 11 on iPad
Step #1. Open Settings app → General → iPad Storage.
Step #2. Next, you need to scroll down and tap on Messages.
Step #3. Tap on Review Large Conversations.
Step #4. Now, check out the list of your large iMessage conversations, ordered by size.
Just swipe over any conversation to delete it. If you want to open the chat, just tap on it.
If you want to delete multiple conversations, tap on Edit → Select the conversation you wish to delete → Tap on the trash can.
Keep Redundant Chats Away!
Indeed, iOS 11 has made it a lot easier to find and delete storage-hogging chats. It can be enormously helpful for the folks who own the iOS device with less storage. What do you think of this useful feature? Let us know your views in the comments below.
You might want to have a glance at these posts as well:
- How to Offload Apps in iOS 11 on iPhone and iPad
- How to Send/Receive Apple Pay Cash Using iMessage
- How to Hide Alerts from Individual iMessage Conversation
- How to Send iMessage with Spotlight and Echo Screen Effects