Adding a nickname to a contact on iPhone makes it pretty easy to recognize a particular contact out of many. People like to give nicknames to their friends to show their affection. If you also have got a nice pet name for your friend and want to add nicknames for iPhone contacts, here is how you can do it!
- How to Add Nickname to Contact on iPhone
- How to Set iPhone to Prefer Nicknames
- How to Remove Nickname from a Contact on iPhone
How to Add Nickname to Contact on iPhone
- Open Contacts app and tap on the person’s name.
- Next, tap on Edit.
- Scroll down and tap on add field → Nickname.
- Now below ‘Last name’, you will see an option for ‘Nickname.’ Tap on it, type the desired nickname, and finally tap on Done from the top right.
How to Set iPhone to Prefer Nicknames
Short Names and Nicknames are also shown (instead of full names) in Messages, Mail, Phone, and some third-party apps. On iPhone and iPad, they are enabled by default. But to make sure that it is on, please follow the steps below.
- Open Settings app on your iPhone and tap Contacts.
- Tap on Short Name.
- Turn ON the toggle for Prefer Nicknames.
Note: If you use Exchange account for your contacts and see random numbers and letters instead of the contact name, then you will have to turn off ‘prefer nicknames.’ For this, follow the above steps and switch off the toggle.
How to Remove Nickname from a Contact on iPhone
You have added a nickname to a contact on iPhone, but for some reason, you no longer want it. How will you remove it?
- Open Contacts app and select the contact with nickname.
- Tap on Edit → Tap on nickname field.
- Next, Tap on small (x) cross icon to delete. Finally, tap Done from the top right. The nickname has been successfully removed.
That’s all, folks.
This was how to add nicknames to contacts and set your iPhone to show these instead of regular names. It’s a useful little trick to know, just like merging duplicate iPhone contacts.
What’s your take? Are you planning to also give nicknames to some of your contacts? Have your say in the comments down below.
You may also check out related posts: