When you have Family Sharing set up, you can easily share any media that you buy with your family group. But sometimes, you might also want to hide App Store and iTunes purchases for varied reasons. For instance, you would want to hide any ‘R’ or ‘A’ rated content or any specific download or purchased app. This is easy to do, so let’s jump in.
- How to Hide App Purchases on iPhone and iPad
- How to View Hidden App Purchases on iPhone and iPad
- How to Hide App Store Purchases on Mac
- How to Unhide App Store Purchases on Mac
- How to Hide Books and Audiobooks Purchases
- How to Unhide Books and Audiobooks Purchases
How to Hide App Purchases on iPhone and iPad
After you hide an app, it will not appear in your or family member’s list of purchases. Further, the app will not be available for them to redownload.
- Open the App Store on your iPhone or iPad
- Tap on your picture from the top right.
- Tap on Purchased or My Purchases
- Look for the app you want to hide. Next, swipe from right to left and then tap on Hide.
- Tap Done from the top-right.
The app is now hidden. However, please know that the app is not deleted from your device or family member’s devices if they have already downloaded it.
How to View Hidden App Purchases on iPhone and iPad
You can not unhide the hidden apps from iPhone or iPad. But you can redownload the app for free whenever you like. Here is how to download hidden apps on iPhone and iPad.
- Open the App Store on your iPhone
- From the top right, tap on your account picture.
- Tap on your Apple ID card. Sign in or use Touch ID/Face ID, if asked.
- Scroll down and tap Hidden Purchases.
- Tap the download icon next to the hidden app.
How to Hide App Store Purchases on Mac
It is quite easy to hide movie, TV show, or music from appearing in Family Sharing. After you hide an item, it will not appear in the library on any device with your Apple ID or in Family Sharing. The only downside is that you can not do so using the iTunes Store app on your iOS 13 device. You need to use a Mac or PC for this. Let me show you how.
- On your Mac running macOS Catalina open the Apple Music app or Apple TV app. On older Mac or Windows PC, launch iTunes.
- Click on Account from the top menu bar
- Click Purchased or Family Purchases.
- Click on Music, Movies, or TV Shows tab to hide the respective item. Make sure you click on All to see all the items
- Now find the item you want to hide and place your mouse pointer on it. You will see a cross icon. Click on it.
- Click Hide from the popup.
The song, movie or TV show that you choose is hidden now. It won’t be available for download to you or Family Members.
How to Unhide App Store Purchases on Mac
Unhiding music, movie, and TV shows are similar to hiding it. You do not need to pay again to unhide and download the hidden item. Here is how.
- Open the Apple Music app or Apple TV app on your Mac. Open iTunes on older Mac or Windows PC.
- From top click on Account and then click on View My Account. Sign in if asked.
- Scroll down and under section iTunes in the Cloud, click on Manage next to Hidden Purchases.
- Select Music, Movies, or TV Shows depending on your choice and what you have hidden
- Finally, click on Unhide. If you have multiple items, you may also click on Unhide All from the bottom right.
The item will be unhidden. From now, you will see it in your Library. Tap the download icon to save it offline on your device. (Account → Purchased or Family Purchases → Not in My Library → Download Icon)
How to Hide Books and Audiobooks Purchases
Thankfully, you do not need a Mac or PC to hide books and audiobooks. You can do it straight from your iOS or iPadOS device. Take a look.
- Open the Books app on your iPhone
- Tap on Library from the bottom row
- Tap the three dots icon you see for a book or audiobook.
- Tap on Remove.
- Tap on Hide Book or Hide Audiobook.
This will hide the particular book on devices that use your iTunes Store account.
Do you not get the option to hide the book? Tap on Remove Download to remove the book from your device or tap Delete Everywhere to remove the book from iCloud and all your devices.
How to Unhide Books and Audiobooks Purchases
Changed your mind and wish to read the book or listen to the audiobook you hid? No problem. Here is how to unhide books and audiobooks from Family Sharing.
- Open the Books app on your iOS devices
- Tap on Reading Now from the bottom left of the screen
- Tap on your account picture from the top right.
- Tap on Manage Hidden Purchases. Sign In if asked. Wait for a few seconds
- Now, Tap Unhide next to the Book or Audiobook
- Tap on Done.
The item you just unhid is added back to your Library. You may download it again from here. For this, tap on the book’s cover image or three dots icon and then Download.
That’s it, mate!
This was all about hiding and unhiding apps, music, movies, TV shows, books, and audiobooks on your iPhone and iPad. I am signing off, hoping this guide was helpful.
You may also like to take a look at:
- How to Share Purchased Apps Between iPhones and iPads
- How to Download Free Apps from Mac App Store without Apple ID Password
- How to Change App Store Country Region on iPhone or iPad
- Steps to Cancel App Store Subscription from iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV
Have a question, suggestion, or tip? Share it in the comments down below.