It's been two days I started using Face ID on my iPhone X. The facial recognition system had been working reasonably well until today. It refused to recognize my face even after several attempts. So, why Face ID has suddenly stopped working on my iPhone X?
In my case, it was just a miscellaneous glitch which I was able to get rid of easily. With a bit of digging, I found out some of the viable solutions to fix Face ID issue on my iPhone X. Take a look at them and also give those tricks a try if you are finding the facial recognition technology playing a spoilsport on your device.
Face ID Not Working on iPhone X: Tips to Fix the Issue
- Turn Off/On Face ID on iPhone X
- Reset Face ID on iPhone X
- Rest All Settings on iPhone X
- Update iOS on iPhone X
- You need to ensure that TrueDepth camera isn't covered with a case or a screen protector. Also, make sure that no residue or dirt is covering the camera.
- Ensure that your eyes, nose, and mouth are fully visible to the TrueDepth camera.
- Face ID is designed to work with many sunglasses. However, if you are wearing the sunglass that blocks certain types of light, then you need to remove it.
- To make Face ID work perfectly, your iPhone X must be in portrait orientation, and you're facing the camera.
- keep your iPhone at arm's length or closer (10-20 inches) from your face.
- When you are outside in bright sunlight, make sure to reposition your iPhone so that sun isn't directly behind you.
Once you have checked out the points above, go ahead with the solutions mentioned below.
Solution #1: Turn Off/On Face ID
The first solution I would recommend you to try out is turn off/on Face ID. Simply open Settings app on your iPhone X → Face ID & Passcode → Use Face ID → Disable iPhone Unlock.
Now, turn off your device. To do so, press and hold side button and either volume button → drag the slider to turn off your device. Then, press the side button until Apple logo appears on the screen.
Now, head over to Settings → Face ID & Passcode → Use Face ID → Enable iPhone Unlock.
Now, try using Face ID again. It should work now. If it doesn't, move on with the other solution.
Solution #2: Reset Face ID
If the first solution hasn't fixed the problem, try resetting Face ID. It will remove all the existing mathematical representations of your face. Open Settings app>Face ID & Passcode> Reset Face ID. To know more about resetting Face ID, jump over to this guide. Then, hard reset your device. Check out here to quickly force restart your iPhone X.
Now, set up Face ID. Head over to this complete guide to let you perfectly set up facial recognition system on your iPhone X.
Solution #3: Rest All Settings
Haven' been able to resolve the problem as yet? Reset your device to factory default. One thing you need to know that it will clean up your Wi-Fi passwords and website logins. However, all of your media and data will remain safe.
Settings → General → Reset → Rest All Settings
Solution #4: Update Your iPhone to the Latest iOS Version
Check out if there is an update available for your iPhone. If yes, make sure to update it to the latest iOS version.
If your device is up-to-date, restore it as new via iTunes. First and foremost, make sure to back up your device before restoring it. Connect your device to computer → open iTunes → select the iPhone from the top left menu → click on Restore iPhone.
What If Nothing Works
I'm sure the above solutions would resolve the Face ID problem on your iPhone X. But if they have failed to fix the issue; contact help for Apple.
Assuming, you have found the solution to the problem. Let us know which of the tricks as mentioned above worked for you.
You might want to refer these posts as well:
- How to Use Reachability on iPhone X
- How to Use iPhone X Swipe Gestures
- How to Sign into Apps with Face ID
- How to Use Apple Pay on iPhone X