Except for a few (negligible) tantrums, Face ID has been quite loyal to me. And to be honest, I’ve fully embraced it for the better. Unfortunately, my run with the facial recognition technology fell prey to jaundiced eyes. And suddenly Faced ID stopped working on my iPhone X– bringing the smooth sailing time to a chaotic halt. Literally!
But then again, I found my way out and was able to fix the Face ID issues on the iPhone. I guess I’m not alone to have encountered this roadblock. Therefore, I thought it makes sense to share some of the workable tricks that can come in handy in resolving the Face ID problem.
Check them out, if you are looking for a way to troubleshoot this issue on your iPhone X series or the newly launched iPad Pro 2018! .
Face ID Not Working on iPhone X, Xs Max, Xs, or XR? Tips to Fix the Issue
- Turn Off/On Face ID on iPhone X
- Reset Face ID on iPhone X
- Rest All Settings on iPhone X
- Update iOS on iPhone X
- You need to ensure that TrueDepth camera isn’t covered with a case or a screen protector. Also, make sure that no residue or dirt is covering the camera.
- Ensure that your eyes, nose, and mouth are fully visible to the TrueDepth camera.
- Face ID is designed to work with many sunglasses. However, if you are wearing the sunglass that blocks certain types of light, then you need to remove it.
- Be sure to keep your iPhone in portrait orientation when using Portrait Mode. On iPad Pro 2018, Face ID works in both landscape and portrait orientations.
- Keep your device at arm’s length or closer (10-20 inches) from your face.
- When you are outside in bright sunlight, make sure to reposition your iPhone so that sun isn’t directly behind you.
Once you have checked out the points (mentioned above), try out the below solutions. Start with the first one and move to the next trick only when it doesn’t click.
Solution #1: Turn Off/On Face ID on iPhone X Series
The first solution I would recommend you to try out is turn OFF/ON Face ID and give a fresh start to your device.
Simply open Settings app on your iPhone X → Face ID & Passcode → Enter your iPhone Passcode.
Under Use Face ID FOR section, turn off the switch next to each option.
If you use Face ID with third-party apps, tap on Other Apps → and then turn off the switch next to each app.
Now, turn off your device. Next, head over to Settings → Face ID & Passcode and then turn on the switch next to each option. Also, tap on Other Apps and then turn on the switch for each app.
Now, try using Face ID again. It should work now. If it doesn’t, move on to the next solution.
Solution #2: Reset Face ID on iPhone X Series
The other solution that I would tell you to try out is resetting Face ID. It will wipe out all the existing mathematical representations of your face, and you will have to set it up all over again. From what I can tell about this trick is that it’s very reliable and has fixed the problem for many users. So, there is no harm in giving it a chance as well.
Launch Settings app → Face ID & Passcode → Reset Face ID.
Now, set up the facial recognition again. Once everything is done, start using it as usual. There shouldn’t be any hiccups now.
Solution #3: Reset All Settings on iPhone X Series
I know you don’t want to see this unwanted solution that comes into the picture in most troubleshooting guides. Speaking the truth, I also don’t appreciate it either.
However, when the going gets tricky or some miscellaneous problems seem to become a headache, I don’t hesitate to give it a go. And many a time, it hasn’t disappointed me.
As it will wipe out all the existing settings including Wi-Fi passwords and website login details, be sure you are fully prepared.
Open Settings → General → Reset → Tap on Reset All Settings → Enter iPhone Passcode → Confirm.
After you have successfully put your device to factory settings, enable Face ID and try using it as usual. I guess you have finally crossed the line of fire, haven’t you?
Solution #4: Update Your iPhone to the Latest iOS Version
Now is the time to go for the software update. Needless to mention that it’s become the biggest troubleshooter in recent times. Moreover, Apple keeps on refining the iOS, improving performance and eliminating the bugs that keep cropping up now and then. So, it deserves a shot as well.
Open Settings app → General → Software Update → Download and install the latest iOS version as usual.
After the update, the issue should be gone. If it has, ENJOY!
What If Nothing Works
I’m sure the above solutions would resolve the Face ID problem on your iPhone X. But if they have failed to fix the issue; contact help for Apple.
Having myself experienced the issue on a few occasions; I can say that you have eventually resolved the problem by following the above tricks. However, I can’t rule out the possibility of an unexpected thing. Luckily, Apple Support is always ready to help and get rid of the issue at the earliest. Hence, there shouldn’t be any dead end!
You might want to refer these posts as well:
- How to Permanently Disable Face ID on iPhone X, Xs, Xs Max, and XR
- How to Speed Up Face ID on iPhone X, Xs, Xs Max, and XR
- How to Train Face ID to Recognize Weird faces on iPhone X, Xs, Xs Max, and XR
- How to Put iPhone X, Xs, Xs Max, and XR into DFU Mode