Apple has released the watchOS 8 public beta to preview the latest features before the official release later this year. Anyone with a compatible Apple Watch and iPhone can get this update but keep in mind that it might have some bugs and other issues.
Moreover, you will not be able to downgrade back to watchOS 7. If you want to proceed, this article will explain how to download and install the watchOS 8 public beta 7. You will need:
- An Apple Watch Series 3, 4, 5, 6, or SE
- An iPhone 6s or later running the iOS 15 beta
What’s new in the watchOS 8?
Some of the cool new watchOS 8 features are:
- Respiratory rate monitoring in sleep tracking
- The Mindfulness app merging the Breathe activity with reminders to take quick mindful breaks to “Reflect” throughout the day.
- Support for memories and highlights in Photos and sharing images through iMessages and Mail.
- A new Portrait watch face.
- AirTag tracking support in Find My.
- Sharing music from Apple Music via Messages.
- More granular control in messages like turning the Digital Crown to move the cursor.
- New workouts.
To start exploring these and other improvements, learn how to download and install watchOS 8 public beta 7 on your Apple Watch, as explained below.
Note: We don’t recommend installing iOS 15 beta and watchOS 8 beta on your primary devices. This is because bugs and performance issues in the beta versions could make your device unusable. Moreover, you cannot roll back to watchOS 7 after installing watchOS 8 beta.
How to register and enroll your device for the watchOS 8 public beta 7
The first step to download the watchOS 8 public beta 7 is to register and enroll in Apple’s Public Beta Program. Here’s how:
- On your iPhone paired to your Apple Watch, go to the Apple Beta Program website.
- Tap Sign up.
If you’ve previously signed up, tap on Sign in and skip to step 5 below.
- Enter your Apple ID email address and password.
- Tap Sign In.
- Read through the terms and conditions and tap Accept to agree.
- Go to beta.apple.com on your paired iPhone that you want to enroll.
- Tap the watchOS tab. Click Enroll your Apple Watch.
- Tap Download profile.
- Select Allow when prompted for permission to install a profile.
- Tap Install to begin.
- Enter your Passcode if prompted.
- Tap Install at the top and hit Install again to confirm.
- Hit Restart to reboot your Apple Watch to complete the process.
How to install the watchOS 8 public beta 7 using your Apple Watch
After the enrollment process explained above, follow the steps below to get the watchOS 8 public beta.
- On your Apple Watch, go to Settings → General.
- Tap Software Update.
- Tap Download and Install → hit OK.
- Open the Watch app on your iPhone.
- Read Terms and Conditions and tap Agree to accept.
The installation process will begin.
How to install the watchOS 8 public beta 7 using your iPhone
- Ensure your iPhone is connected to a strong Wi-Fi network. Then, open the Watch app and go to the My Watch tab.
- Go to General→ Software Update.
- Tap Download and Install.
- Enter your iPhone Passcode.
- Read Terms and Conditions, and tap Agree.
- Make sure your Apple Watch is charged to at least 50% and connect it to its magnetic charger.
- Tap Install on your iPhone or Apple Watch.
When will the final version of watchOS 8 roll out?
You can expect a few more beta versions of watchOS 8 over the coming months. The official final version of the update will most likely launch in early Fall 2021 for all supported Apple Watch models.
Of course, the final version will be free, and you will not need to be enrolled in the beta program.
That wraps up the process to download the watchOS 8 beta 7 on your Apple Watch. If you have tried the beta version, let us know your thoughts in the comments below.