Apple has finally released macOS 12 Monterey public beta 7. It comes equipped with exciting features like the all-new Safari, Shortcuts app, Universal Control, Quick Notes, FaceTime, and more. If you are wondering how to download and install macOS Monterey public beta 7 on your Mac, you have stepped into the right place.
Here’s a complete guide to help you get hands-on with macOS Monterey. Let’s first check if your device supports the update.
Complete list of macOS Monterey-supported devices
- Mac Mini 2020
- MacBook Pro and Air (M1, 2020)
- iMac M1 (2021)
- MacBook Pro 2015 and later
- MacBook Air 2015 and later
- MacBook 2016 and later
- Mac mini 2014 and later
- iMac 2015 and later
- iMac Pro 2017 and later (all models)
- Mac Pro 2013 and later
To know the exact model of your Mac, click the Apple logo at the top left and select About This Mac.
How to download macOS 12 Monterey public beta 7
- Go to beta.apple.com.
- Click Sign up to enroll your devices or Sign in with your Apple ID and password if you’re already a member.
- Select the macOS tab and scroll down to Enroll your Mac section.
- Click Download the macOS Public Beta Access Utility and Allow to begin the download.
- Open the Downloads folder or the folder where your browser files are downloaded.
- Double-click macOSPublicBetaAccessUtility.dmg to open it.
- Again double click macOSPublicBetaAccessUtility.pkg to run the installer and follow on-screen instructions.
- Now, you might get a prompt reminding you to make a Time Machine backup; if already done, click OK → Continue.
- Click Continue again, read and accept Apple’s software license agreement by clicking Agree.
- Click Install, enter your Mac’s password and select Install Software.
- Once the download is complete and the ‘installation was successful‘ screen comes up, click Close.
- Now, a software update screen will pop up; click Upgrade Now.
The download will begin and might take a while, depending upon your internet speed. Once completed, install the update.
Note: If the update screen doesn’t launch automatically, click the Apple logo → System Preferences → Software Update.
How to install macOS Monterey public beta 7 on Mac
- An installation window should automatically pop up; click Continue.
- Click Agree to accept the terms and conditions and then Agree again to confirm.
- Here, select the drive/partition to install the beta and click Continue.
- Enter your Mac’s password and click Unlock.
- Click Restart if the Mac doesn’t restart automatically.
After your Mac reboots, the system might prompt you to enter your Apple ID and password.
Should you download macOS Monterey public beta 7?
Betas are potentially problematic. Apple itself states that it may come with errors and inaccuracies and may not work as smoothly as commercially released software. Moreover, it suggests users download the beta on secondary devices or non-crucial partitions.
However, the perk of testing and discovering new features calls to my geeky side every single time.
Additionally, there is a certain joy in reporting bugs to Apple! Ultimately, you’ll have to weigh the pros and cons for yourself. And if you have a spare device or storage for partition, it’s a win-win situation.
So, will you download macOS Monterey public beta or wait?
Whatever your decision, we’ll be there for you! From covering all amazing features to revealing hidden features, troubleshooting common problems, to sharing hacks for productivity, our team will cover every aspect of macOS Monterey in the comings days. So, stay tuned!
Have any queries related to the new update? Share them in the comments section below.