Families where multiple iOS devices are in use have a reason to rejoice for iOS 8. The “Family Sharing” feature allows content-sharing like never before: purchase a song/app/movie once and you can share it with up to 6 people without paying a penny more.
The idea is to enable seamless content sharing across all “connected” iOS devices (and Mac). Family Sharing goes much beyond just content sharing but in this write-up, we'll talk about downloading purchased content across all devices that are part of the Family Sharing feature in iOS 8.
Read this: How to enable Family Sharing on iOS 8
Let's say you are part of the Family Sharing group. You can now download apps/songs/music/movie/TV show that other family members have purchased (and enabled sharing for). But how to see and download what other family members have purchased?
How to Download Apps/Music/Content from Other Family Members in Family Sharing (iOS 8)
- Open the App Store on your iPhone/iPad
- Tap on Purchased from the bottom menu
- Scroll down and you'll see the Family Purchases section
- All you do is tap on a family member. You then see sections (like Music, Movies, Apps, TV Shows).
- Tap on a section to view content purchased by that family member. If you tap on Apps, it will show all apps purchased by the family member.
- You can then proceed to download it from there.
When you download something from someone else's purchase history, you get to keep that forever. That means even if Family Sharing is disabled or you sign out of it for some reason, your iPhone/iPad will still have that content. Your Apple ID (that you used to download the content) will be associated with the same, so you can re-download it whenever you feel like it.
As mentioned before, the only downside is that Family Sharing is an exclusive feature that requires developers/content creators to participate in it. Here's hoping it takes on big time.