After Apple shut down MobileMe, the MobileMe Galleries went along with it. I am not sure how popular that service was but it seems very probable that Apple’s new feature in iOS 6 -Shared Photo Streams- would be a really good and popular one.
Creating albums for the Shared Photo Stream feature is easy and there are two ways you can do that. We’ll see how that gets done along with some thoughts on how the Shared Photo Stream works.
Create an Album from a Group of Photos
This is just like you’d create an album out of the photos in your camera roll. The only difference is, the option you choose is different. Here’s how to create a Shared Photo Stream album from a group of photos:
- Open the album containing the photos (mostly your Camera Roll)
- Tap on the ‘Edit’ button on the top-right corner and select the photos you want in the new album
- Now tap on ‘Share’
- Choose ‘Photo Stream’
- If this is a new album, enter a name for the album
- Fill out other details
- Choose the ‘Public Website’ option (ON) in case you want friends without an iCloud account to be able to see the photos you’ve shared
Creating an Album and Then Adding the Photos
- Open the Photos app on your iPhone/iPad
- Now tap on the Photo Stream option (from the three options on the bottom)
- Tap the ‘+’ sign to create the album
- List email ids of people you want to share the album with.
- Fill out rest of the details (name, public website option etc.)
Now you just add photos to the Photo Stream.
- Now, head back to the Photos app and open the album containing the photos you want to add to the photo stream
- Tap on the ‘Edit’ icon
- Select the photos you want to add to the Photo Stream
- Tap on ‘Share’
- Tap on ‘Photo Stream’
- Now select the album that you created and you’re done!
Shared Photo Stream is basically a social version of having albums on the cloud. Think of them as basically Facebook Photo albums which you’ve shared with specific people. Those with an iCloud account (with whom you’ve shared your photo stream) can comment and like the photos. People on their iPad and iPhone and even Mac get notifications when someone shares photo streams with them.
The web version of the photo stream is where people without an iCloud account or a capable device can see the photos. Of course, they won’t be able to ‘participate’ in comments.
Deleting Photos from a Photo Stream Album
Deleting all photos from a photo stream usually removes the album. To do this:
- Open the Photo Stream
- Choose the album
- Now tap on ‘Edit’
- Select photos to remove
- Tap ‘Delete’ and then tap on ‘Delete Selected Photos’
How to Delete Photo Stream Album: