Whether it’s movies, sports matches, or tv shows, nothing beats experiencing them on a great home theater system with booming surround sound. This is all the more vital right now when we’re all spending more time at home.
Moreover, going to conventional movie theaters or games can pose health risks, so investing in a home entertainment system can be just what you need to motivate the entire family to stay in.
Fortunately, your search for the best home theater systems ends here. I’ve picked out the top surround sound speaker sets for varying budgets. But first, let’s check out a few essential considerations.
How to choose a home theater speaker?
A home theater is a significant investment, so you should take your time picking out the best one for you. Here are the key things to consider in a home theater speaker system:
- Your TV: This is, of course, the core of your home entertainment system, so if you don’t already have a smart TV to build your home theater around, you’ll need one. Get the best one you can afford as it’ll be a long-term investment that will pay off in the future.
- Your room: Usually, bigger speakers mean better sound. But they are not always suitable for smaller rooms. So considering your room’s size and design, choose a speaker that’s the right fit.
- Your use cases: Your home theater can double up as a sound system to stream music from your phone, computer, or services like Spotify. So consider this usage before deciding which product to go for. You can even connect some systems to other wireless speakers in your home for multi-room audio.
- Your style: According to your preference, you can get speakers that look stylish or discreetly blend into your decor, and even some that can be concealed within walls and ceilings.
- Your speaker preference: How many do you want? Do you want stereo sound more advanced 3.1, 5.1, 7.1 sound? Further, Dolby Atmos systems have elevated channels for immersive 3D sound. Moreover, do you want wireless speakers? This guide includes two options for the best wireless home theater speakers.
- Your budget: This one’s perhaps the number one consideration for most of us. But I strongly urge you to think long-term as the home theater system is sure to last you for years to come.
The cheapest home theater system consists of a simple stereo soundbar. A higher price tag will fetch you a lot more features, better design and build quality, and, most importantly, enhanced sound quality. You just need to pick a price bracket and select the best home theater system using this guide.
Lastly, note that home theater systems can be highly customized depending on your preferences. But it’s a good idea to opt for a pre-packaged one that’s easier to install and achieves the purpose.
Therefore, I have picked the best pre-packaged surround sound systems for varying budgets in this guide. Let’s have a look.
1. Sonos Surround Set: Best all-in-one home theater speaker
Sonos makes some of the leading smart speakers, which can be used to create one of the best home theater systems.
This 5.1 Surround Set is everything I would want from the dream home theater system. You can enjoy crystal clear highs and lows that pack just the right punch. Further, there’s voice control with Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant.
It’s fully wireless with just a power cord for the HDMI output. This avoids a tangle of cables and keeps your space looking neat. Moreover, it works with Apple Airplay 2 and streams just about everything via the more than 50 music services supported by Sonos.
- Wireless Soundbar with Dolby Atmos, Apple AirPlay 2, and built-in voice assistant
- Sub Wireless Subwoofer (Gen 3)
- 2 Sonos speakers for stereo pairing and home theater surround
- Compact design
- Gradually upgradeable. No need to buy the complete package at once.
- No speaker wires
- Connect with other Sonos speakers for multi-room audio
- Works with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant
- No support for DTS audio
2. Sony Surround System: Best mid-range home theater
Sony is another leading name in the sound industry, and this premium mid-range home theater system is a worthy investment.
It delivers mighty cinematic surround sound that perfectly adapts to you and your environment.
It delivers multi-dimensional surround sound that adapts to your speaker configuration in real-time. You can position the sounds exactly as you like, thanks to the nine-speaker channels.
- 7.2 Dolby Atmos Wi-Fi Network AV home theater receiver
- A pair of stereo floor-standing Speakers.
- 10-inch active subwoofer
- Sony SSCS5 3-Way 3-Driver Bookshelf Speaker System
- Sony SSCS8 2-Way 3-Driver Center Channel Speaker
- Easy to setup
- Great build quality
- Crisp, lifelike audio
- Ideal for any space
- A bit tricky to switch between modes
3. Enclave: Best wireless home theater system
For a wireless system that’s more affordable than Sonos, check out this Enclave CineHome, an instant plug-and-play surround sound system with no AVR or Wi-Fi needed.
It delivers powerful cinematic sound for all your favorite movies, TV shows, sports, and games. The 5.1 surround sound system is compatible with all modern TVs with just a simple cable connection. The CineHub sound system is equipped with eARC*, ARC, and optical connections for quick and easy setup to start listening immediately.
Further, it’s powered by 11 perfectly tuned Class-D 24-bit amplifiers that deliver an unbelievable, movie-theater quality sound right in your living room – it supports Dolby Audio, DTS, and the latest WSA wireless technology.
- A powerful CineHub wireless transmitter
- 6 separate custom-tuned speakers
- Almost completely wireless
- Top-notch sound quality
- Analog 3.5mm input so you connect a turntable
- latest WiSA wireless technology
- It takes time to turn on as it needs to connect wirelessly to other speakers.
4. Logitech: Best budget home theater speaker
Turn any room into a home theater with this budget surround sound system. The powerful THX-certified speakers amplify every kind of audio for you to hear every tire squeal, footstep, whisper, or rumble in 5.1 discreet channels of explosive, detailed surround sound.
You have the flexibility to set up your system as you prefer. Connect it with up to six audio sources – your computer, music player, game console, and more. Place the speakers on a shelf or wall-mount them to customize the system to your room’s size and seating.
I especially like the compact stackable design that looks great in any setting. Control volume, power, mute and set inputs on the console or from the couch using the handy wireless remote.
- Five satellite speakers
- Stackable control console
- Excellent sound quality
- Great price
- Includes remote for easy control
- Looks could be better
5. LG: Another great affordable home theater speaker
Here’s another top home theater that packs a punch while being affordable. It’s easy to set up and use in any sort of room, with cables that are long enough to reach wherever your power sockets are.
Not only can you play files stored on USB devices but also record CD tracks or FM radio programs on your USB while listening at the same time.
While it’s good for the price, it has a bit of an outdated feel to it. All in all, it adequately creates a superb sound experience while looking modern, sleek, and discrete.
- 4 tower speakers
- 1 DVD player
- 1 subwoofer
- Easy to set up
- Great looks
- No BluRay support
- Software is outdated and difficult to use
6. Bose: Best high-end home theater System
If you want the very best Dolby Atmos home theater system, nothing beats Bose. It features a slim center channel speaker and four OmniJewel speakers, standing less than 6 inches tall – so you can feel the power of beautiful 360-degree sound all around you, not just from a single point.
The deep resounding bass adds more dramatic sound effects and the rear surround speakers create an immersive home theater performance.
Further, it’s designed with SoundTouch, which uses your existing home Wi-Fi network to stream music services like Pandora, Amazon Prime, Spotify, iHeartRadio, SiriusXM, and your own music library.
You can also use Amazon Alexa to adjust volume, change tracks, find out what’s playing, and even control where it’s playing: from the speaker in your kitchen to the speaker in your bedroom.
I also appreciate the premium tempered glass and brushed anodized aluminum finish. It looks as stunning as it sounds!
- Four satellite speakers
- One center channel speaker
- Acoustimass wireless bass module
- Unbeatable sound
- Stunning design
- Easy to set up
- Deep Alexa integration
- Works with a variety of streaming services
Still got questions about which home theater speaker is best for you? Drop them in the comments below, and I’ll help you out. Don’t forget to check out some other awesome smart home devices to enhance your lifestyle.
You may want to take a peek at: