Disclaimer: We don’t recommend Installous or any other Installous alternatives in any manner to Install .IPA files. Developers put a lot of effort to create apps and what’s a dollar or two to spend on buying these apps? The only reason we post on these alternatives is to help users try out costly apps before they decide to purchase it. Under no circumstances should this be misconstrued as supporting piracy or piracy-related apps.
Update: The team at Hackulo.us have stopped further development on Installous. Installous and the related repos and tweaks are no longer available on Cydia. To read more about this development and to find other great alternatives to Installous, read this post.
Since iOS 6 is new and the developers behind Installous haven’t yet released a compatible version, many users find that the Installous 5 is not working on iOS 6. It either crashes, freezes or shows nothing when installed on devices running iOS 6. Of course, for a few lucky users, the app works just fine as before.
There are a few methods that various commentators and users have suggested. We couldn’t try all of them as we’re hard-pressed for time but we’ve seen that a lot of users have tasted success using one or two of these methods. Let us know in the comments if things work for you:
Method 1: To Install Installous 5
If you are facing issues with Installous, or if you are totally not able to install the thing from Cydia, there’s a workaround which involves a longer process but definitely worth trying.
Find them both on Cydia and install them. iFile lets you install .deb files directly onto your iPhone while ReSpring basically does what it says: resprings the dashboard.
Once you’ve installed them both:
- Open Mobile Safari
- Go to ‘‘
- You’ll find appsync50plus (2.2) and installous (5.0.3-1) (both are deb files)
- Download them.
- Open appsync50plus through iFile. Unzip and install it.
- Now, use Respring to restart the dashboard.
- Once again, open iFile and install Installous from the .deb file you downloaded
- Try opening Installous now and find some file to download.
- If it works, you’re lucky!
Method 2: Alternative Way to Install Cracked Apps without Jailbreaking iPhone or iPad
An alternative method is to directly download the IPA files and sync it through iTunes. To do this:
- On your PC/Mac, open the browser and go to ‘‘
- Download the IPA file of the app you want, to your system
- Now, when you open the file, it opens up in iTunes
- Connect your iPhone and sync it with iTunes (careful about this. Don’t lose data in the process)
- Once the sync is complete, you must see the app on your iPhone
This should mostly fix the download issues.
Method 3: (Unverified)
Update: This method doesn’t work anymore.
This is a totally new-find which we haven’t had the chance to verify. But if in case this works for you, well and good!
You’ll need iFile for this method to work:
- Uninstall both Installous and Appsync
- Remove Hackulo.us repo
- Open iFile and remove this folder: /applications/installous.app
- Reboot the device
- Add Hakculo.us source to Cydia
- Install AppSync for iOS 5.0+
- Install Installous 5
- Respring the device
- Now check to see if things work fine.
Method 4: IPA Installer Console
If you’re lucky, you’ll probably find this tweak in Cydia’s BigBoss repo. The IPA Installer Console lets you install/run IPA files on your iDevice. Even when the device isn’t compatible, it lets you run the IPA files (even when they’re cracked apps). A special feature of IPA Installer Console is that it disables update checking (by modifying the iTunesMetadata.plist file). IPA Installer Console can’t be considered a direct alternative to Installous but it gets the job done if you’ve got the IPA file downloaded.