With the recent whistle-blowing about PRISM and other governmental snooping of emails and internet data, you might want to secure your email against potential snooping. It’s an obvious reaction from people who would want to protect their data and keep it away from prying eyes.
It came to light through an interview that Snowden, the key whistle-blower in the recent NSA-related activity of tapping into metadata and content of internet users, was using Lavabit for secure email transactions. In this tutorial, we take you through setting up a Lavabit Inbox on your iPhone for secure email system.
For this, you’re going to need:
- An iPhone with a data network or connected to Wifi
- A Lavabit email address.
Lavabit email system is much different from normal email programs in one aspect: security. While most email systems are secure by nature (SSL), Lavabit appears to take this very seriously.
Both your outgoing and incoming messages are secured and your account is so protected that if you forget the password, there’s no way you’re going to reclaim it. Bear this in mind.
- Open Settings
- Go to Mail, Contacts, Calendars
- Add Account…
- Now tap on ‘Other’ from the list of email providers
- Enter a name, your Lavabit email address, the correct password and a description that says Lavabit (or anything recognizable)
- Once the authentication is done, you will be asked to enter details for the incoming and outgoing server. Here, enter lavabit.com under the host names for both incoming and outgoing servers. Enter the username and password of your lavabit email and you’re almost set.
- In the next screen, turn OFF Notes but keep Mail turned ON. The account should actually show your @lavabit.com email address now.
- Now, scroll down and tap on SMTP (it should read lavabit.com). Under Primary server, tap on lavabit.com.
- Turn on Use SSL, and for the Server Port, enter 465.
- Tap on Done. You should be back to the Account screen.
- Tap on Advanced now. In the Income Settings, turn on Use SSL and in the Server Port type 993.
- Click on Done.
- Your Lavabit Inbox is now ready.
Send an email from this inbox now (make sure to choose your @lavabit.com email address for the From field in the compose window).
Thanks to OSXDaily for the tip.