At times, the dictation key on the keypad is greyed out. At other times, you tap on it, dictate something, the pink dots show up and that’s it. Nothing happens after that.
If this is a scenario you’ve faced, don’t worry. You’re not alone. This thing keeps happening a lot many times for a lot many people.
If the dictation key is grayed out, it’s mostly because there is not enough memory in your iPhone to run that service. Dictation – simple though it seems -is actually a Siri-like service which accesses the Apple servers to transcode what you speak. Since Apple is intent on making it a very smart and accurate system, there’s a lot of resources used up when you use Dictation.
So, when you run a lot of apps in the background, there isn’t enough memory for dictation to work. In most cases, dictation is active again after a few seconds but then, you can try this to get rid of the grayed out dictation key:
- Double-tap the home button to open multitask switcher.
- Close all the apps (if you’re running a jailbroken device, use some tweak like KillBackground)
- If possible, respring the device or do a hard reset (press the power and home button till the screen goes black. Then press the power button again to boot the iPhone)
Alternatively, Resetting Stuff
In the rare case that this doesn’t work or when dictation isn’t grayed-out but it just won’t work, you need to try a soft reset while also making sure to restart the dictation service.
First, try to reboot dictation:
- Go to Settings → General → Keyboard
- Where it says Dictation swipe to turn off the service.
- After a few seconds, swipe it to turn ON again.
Check if dictation works.
If it doesn’t, let’s try turning off the network and restarting it:
- You can either just turn ON the Airplane Mode (from Settings) and then turn it OFF again.
- Or you can turn off Wifi/Cellular and then turn it on again after a few moments.
Check dictation again.
You can also reset through Settings → General → Reset → Reset All Settings.
This won’t erase anything so don’t worry: this just resets the cache and network stuff so you’re going to make things clearer for the iPhone. Dictation should work perfectly after this.