How to Downgrade from iOS 7 to iOS 6 (6.1.4 / 6.1.3 Only)
If you threw caution to the winds and upgraded to iOS 7 beta, you might face a few problems: battery, to begin with. And then of course there are the issues with apps not being compatible and/or being unresponsive at times. All of this is common for a developer beta release.
It is usually the case that you can't downgrade to a lower version when you've upgraded but since this is the first developer preview, Apple lets you downgrade to the most latest public version of iOS for your device.
What this means is you can downgrade to iOS 6.x even if you installed iOS 7 on your iPhone. However, this applies only to two iOS 6.x versions.
- If you are using an iPhone 5, you can downgrade only to iOS 6.1.4.
- If you are using older iPhones and iPod Touchs, you can downgrade to iOS 6.1.3.
Notice that both are the latest versions of the iOS that can run on the respective iPhones. Interestingly though, these are non-jailbreakable iOS versions so it would be better to keep that in mind.
So here goes:
- Download iOS 6.1.3 / 6.1.4 IPSW file
- You should make sure that you download the right firmware for your device.
- Connect your iPhone. When iTunes launches, cancel the auto-sync.
Remember that you don't need a backup containing iOS 7 data. You cannot use that to restore your device which will be running iOS 6.x after the downgrade.
- Now, without doing anything to your iPhone, just press 'Shift' and hit restore. For Mac users, this is Alt/Option key plus restore.
- Now, from the file list, choose the IPSW file that you downloaded in step 1.
In most cases, your device should restore to iOS 6.1.3/4 depending on the firmware you selected.
Sometimes, iTunes can throw up Error 3194. Check out this to find out how you can fix error 3194.
How to Fix iMessage Not Working on iOS 7 for iPhone or iPad
For a lot of users – including us here at iGB – iMessage often goes berserk and doesn’t work at…
How to Downgrade iOS 7.x to iOS 6.1.3 On iPhone 4 Using iFaith [Complete Guide]
While we drilled into our readers continuously that it is not possible to downgrade to iOS 6.x once you have…
How to Downgrade iOS 6 to iOS 5.1.1 for iPhone 4 and A4 iOS Only
Now, judging the efficiency of a system based on just one factor – say, the Maps – is not something…